CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Unexpected Kindness

Yesterday was really interesting. It completely too me off guard. It started with a frantic day of me wanting to kill my professor because he's a pompous fool!! Okay enough of that. I arrived at school around 11:45 and planned on studying nonstop until 6 when i would take my final. I thought i could sell back my books and had them stuffed in my hands as well as my Vitamin Water. I was walking about 2 yeards behind two Girls in Church dresses. My phone rang so i frantically crossed my left hand over to my pocket and picked up the phone; I officially had no hands whatsoever. My left arm was crossed over my huge Bio book with the phone to my ear, and my right hand was supporting the book as well and holding the Vitamin Water. My phone rang right before the door. The girls went through the door, and it closed with me not being about to do anything. Since it was a double door, they looked back to see me struggling to open the door. We made eye contact, for some reason they chuckled and still didn't help me even though i was barely grasping the door handle and was walking in a crouched fashion to try and attempt and squeeze my body through. Rude- those girls are rude! One would think these respectable LDS women would know how to lend a hand! I am so mad. Further, I ran into a woman I use to hometeach that teaches at BYU. We made eye contact. She looked away and started to walk towards the other side of the aisle. I stared her down, gave a big smile, and said "hey how's it going." Rude.

On the flip side, I saw a very preppy rich girl. She had her Coach purse, her giant Gucci sunglasses and perfectly glossed lips. She was obviously in a hurry. In her path, there was a newspaper on the ground. She didn't even hesitate but instead picked up the paper. She didn't just throw it away but searched for a recylcing bin. Awesome! Then I took a pieces of scratch paper into my final. The check-in guy was clearly frantically working. As i checked in, he kindly said "oh i'm sorry you can only use one piece." I put the rest in my backpack and went back. He said "sorry for the inconvenience, but you can turn in one paper to get another scratch paper if you would like." he was super kind although he was super stressed. What did i learn... don't judge a person by the exterior. People who should have been nice were complete jerks, and people do unexpected kindness. It is kind of Daoist Idea. Just keep in mind your actions are noticed, so let them be seen for good.

3 comments:

the watkins said...

Such a good lesson.
** On another note, I am so glad I don't have finals... I don't think I could handle that life. But it was fun- Mostly living my college life through Alisa's drama!

Lianne said...

It really is surprising to see how different people act. And even more surprising to see who notices. I think that this is a good reminder to everyone. Especially me... Thanks!! I hope your finals went (or are going) well. :)

Katie and joe said...

jarom. you should post more often. I like new things to read. thank you. :)