CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

WikiDag: Aubrey Beardsley


I am stealing this idea from my sister. Often times i have so many ideas to blog that i end up not blogging at all. Sadly enough, there was a hiatus of blogness. However, I have come to conclusion that i need to blog! Stealing from my lovely sister, I have come to conclusion that structured blogging may be best. She has themes/labels for specific days. I may end up doing that in the future, but for now I will start with a label called "Wiki-Dag" which comes from Wikipedia and "dag" which in Danish means day. I use to never use Wikipedia but have found it a good way for quick look ups.


My recent Wikidag was on Aubrey Beardsley, who was an artist. I have only seen two of his works, which are in pen and ink. He uses a two tone technique, which I love. Here are the two works I have been exposed to. On the left is a women with crazy flares coming out of her body. On the right is his rendition of Salome. He was friends with Oscar Wilde, who had written a play of Salome; she is the mother of the girl who danced for Herod. Salome requested John the Baptist's head! Crazy story eh?

As I searched for Aubrey Beardsley (who is a guy... who has a girl's name), I found some interesting facts or are they? So Oscar Wilde was wildly gay. He and Beardsley were friends (sure they're "friends"). Beardsley drew the art for the Yellow Journal, which was read by Dorian Grey. Well, i kept reading and found something interesting. "..the details of his sexuality remain in question. He was generally regarded as asexual—which is hardly surprising, considering his chronic illness and his devotion to his work. " (interesting, I didn't know anyone could be considered asexual) "Speculation about his sexuality include rumors of an incestuous relationship with his elder sister, Mabel, who may have become pregnant by her brother and miscarried." Oh my gosh! can you believe that... ahhh gross incest! with a baby!

Keep reading for new facts from WikiDag!

2 comments:

Katie and joe said...

two things:
1- ew. ew squared. that was kinda disturbing.

2- aubrey can be a guy's name. my dad's middle name is aubrey. (don't make fun. his middle name was supposed to be arbury, but they misspelled it on his birth certificate. and so everything says aubrey, and everytime i talk to a new bishop who looks at my records pauses, and says aubrey?)

ahollandetc said...

i like the new background. i like those pictures you posted. i also like those scandalous facts!